Evan Narcisse/ I09
Some of last year’s best comics, movies, and genre prose works are in the running to win the prestigious Hugo Award. Get ready for a cinematic battle royale between Get Out, The Shape of Water, Wonder Woman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Thor: Ragnarok and Blade Runner 2049.
Over the weekend, the World Science Fiction Society announced the list of Hugo Awards finalists. Voting is underway and the winners will be announced at WorldCon in August. Hugo watchers will note that N.K. Jemisin, who won Best Novel in 2016 for The Fifth Season and again in 2017 for its sequel, The Obelisk Gate, is poised for a historic hat trick if the third book in her Broken Earth trilogy, The Stone Sky, takes this year’s prize.
Here’s the full roster of finalists:
Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
- Blade Runner 2049, written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, directed by Denis Villeneuve (Alcon Entertainment / Bud Yorkin Productions / Torridon Films / Columbia Pictures)
- Get Out, written and directed by Jordan Peele (Blumhouse Productions / Monkeypaw Productions / QC Entertainment)
- The Shape of Water, written by Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor, directed by Guillermo del Toro (TSG Entertainment / Double Dare You / Fox Searchlight Pictures)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi, written and directed by Rian Johnson (Lucasfilm, Ltd.)
- Thor: Ragnarok, written by Eric Pearson, Craig Kyle, and Christopher Yost; directed by Taika Waititi (Marvel Studios)
- Wonder Woman, screenplay by Allan Heinberg, story by Zack Snyder & Allan Heinberg and Jason Fuchs, directed by Patty Jenkins (DC Films / Warner Brothers)